- By: lizb
- Date: 06/4/13
- File In: Wrap-ups
The old brick and wood building is a gem that continues to be a significant community and cultural resource to the city. This landmark was constructed in 1927 and its original footprint was 4,320 SF. Roosevelt was one of 13 libraries developed under the leadership of Gratia Countryman, who served as head librarian for the Minneapolis Public Library system from 1904 to 1936. Countryman’s goal was to create an institution that addressed citizen’s social needs; an environment that actively and integrally participates in the social life of their communities. Roosevelt’s strengths today are the same design movements of the original MPL System. The main level is comprised of one large intimate reading room that contains no major dividers or partition walls. The main floor is open and naturally lit by large numerous window. One goal of the project was to preserve and strengthen these successful attributes while revitalizing the overall experience. Another goal was to capture the needs and desires of the community, neighbors participated in the design process and helped refine the project strategy.
The project balanced between retaining the historic nature of the building and creating a structure that incorporates modern amenities. Maintenance and improvements were critical to keep this library as a community anchor and resource. With an old aging building in the twenty first century; Roosevelt’s key upgrades included full code compliance, accessibility routes and restrooms, new energy efficient mechanical and electrical systems, exterior restorations and collection updates. The sustainable approach at Roosevelt is the long-term preservation of the building itself, and rehabilitating the building to fit its future needs. Roosevelt’s original masonry construction was designed to last; the rehabilitation treatments will help the building continue to fulfill its original purpose as well as adapt to new opportunities.
One of the initial goals of the Minneapolis Libraries was aimed at breaking down barriers between books and people. Physical accessibility to the books was a critical issue when opening all the early community branches. The newly ‘refreshed’ Roosevelt site design incorporates needed accessible upgrades and social outreach amenities. The civic strength between the library institution and the Roosevelt High school was maintained while providing welcoming and accessible environments that the community desired. Roosevelt’s site includes the introduction of intimate exterior reading alcoves. These spaces are located under the existing old trees containing garden walls and fixed benches. The main entrance and sequence of approach from both 28th Avenue and the rear parking lot was brought up to code for accessibility along with well lit path lighting. The new exterior book drop was located adjacent to the main entrance and deposit directly into the library for safety and convenience, creating a cleaner and more efficient process but keeping a historic character. The new bike rack/parking area is now located off 28th Avenue, adjacent to the main entry and will help support the highly used alternative means of transportation to Roosevelt. The new site design invigorates the site experience, provides accessibility while keeping the strong site symmetry and historic charm.
Although the interior was completed gutted out the interior design was aimed to keep the historic character of a property; introducing distinctive materials and features, spaces, and spatial relationships that characterize this small and intimate tutor library. Amenities included more public computers, wireless access, a teen area, more books, DVDs and CDs, and flexible, appealing spaces with more seating. In addition; a new addition with lots of natural light was designed to house an open meeting space requested by the community. The addition design responses to the original building but is differentiated from the old with subtle features, scale and proportions but keeping with integrity of the property and its environment.
This little library is truly a gem worth reading at!
HCM Architects is excited to announce that construction is well underway for Town Hall Lanes in South Minneapolis! We were fortunate to partner again with Pete Rifakes, owner of Town Hall Brewery and Town Hall Tap, for an addition to his establishments; Town Hall Lanes. Located at 34th Avenue and Keewaydin Place, Town Hall Lanes is a renovation of the existing Skylane Bowling facility with the addition of restaurant and bar amenities. HCM Architects has been happy to work with Patrick Dorn Construction and Thatcher Engineering to design a new, exciting space within the shell of the existing building. Town Hall Lanes will retain the aesthetic of Town Hall Brewery and Town Hall Tap with warm, yet rough wood finishes, antique bar room carpentry, comfortable group seating and updated bowling lanes. HCM is looking forward to following our collaborators through the construction phase this spring!
Existing Skylane Bowling Facade
Town Hall Lanes - Concept Facade
Temp Window Enclosures have been installed and window restoration started. The loading Dock Removal is wrapping up. Abatement Continues and slab removal in Lower Level continues. Level one compete demolition is nearly finished. The design team continues to work through the historic process with Window mock-ups and brick matching. As the demolition continues the sea of columns are being exposed; the new stair wells and shafts are being cut in. What a transformation as we get down to the old infrastructure.
Roosevelt is wrapping up quick; finishes and millwork are being install and are looking great. It’s amazing what some color and wood can do to a space. The ceiling and lighting are complete and cap the space to enhance the cozy ambiance of this small library. Rumor has it there is a lot of excitment for the grand opening this spring! We know we are!
HCM turns 15 on February 2nd and will celebrate with an Anniversary Party on Friday, February 8th!
Thank you to all of our families, friends, clients and consultants for a wonderful string of years, hopefully with many more to come!
- By: Matt
- Date: 01/31/13
- File In: Wrap-ups
HCM has completed another project with Stratasys. This exciting company has been a wonderful new client this year and we are exciting about ongoing design efforts with them on numerous fronts.
Almost done. A view across the new curtain wall opening into adj. open office space.
HCM is excited to have another project underway with Cummins. This one is at their Tech Center Facility on the Fridley, MN campus.
Ground thaw is done and work is underway.
Exterior work in progress.
Just a little bit of conduit installation ...
HCM is proud to have worked with Cummins Power Generation on another successful, large project. This one is an addition to their Fridley, MN plant and is the first of three phases.
Phase 2 and 3 have been documented and are scheduled to start construction in the spring of 2013.
Phase 1 in the complete restoration and reuse of Valspar’s Building 4 has just kicked off! Valspar’s campus is comprised of four (4) buildings. Buildings 1 through 3 are now utilized by Valspar for laboratories and office support space. Building #4 was formerly known and used as the Administration Building by Valspar. The building has been vacant since Valspar moved its headquarters further downtown. Valspar is renovating this building for their North American Research and Test Lab capabilities, reusing this facility will stimulate a consolidation into one campus; named the Valspar Applied Science and Technology (VAST) Center.
Building 4 is in reality comprised of two adjoining buildings, at that time MN Linseed Oil Paint Company, both portions very rich in history and charm. The first is a 5-story building that was constructed in 1903 with a wood timber structural frame, wood decking and load bearing masonry exterior walls. This building incorporates 88,266 GSF. The second is a 3-story building that was constructed in 1912 and has a poured in place concrete framing system, one way concrete slabs and a load-bearing masonry exterior. This building incorporates 82,374 GSF. A common load-bearing masonry wall separates the two buildings which includes openings that pass between the two buildings. This wall was the former exterior east wall of the 5-story building before the 1912 addition; the buildings are now used and seen as one building. Building 4 is programed in two parts, the research and test laboratories in the 3-story portion and office support and storage functions in the 5-story; all proposed in a multi-phase build-out.
Simultaneously as the design team worked with Valspar on the design and programing of the building, the team also worked to complete a SHPO -Historic Preservation Certification Application. The goal is to have this building including the connecting building #1 registered on the National Historic Preservation List. Valspar saw the opportunity to restore a historic building that has a deep history with the city and with Valspar into a world class R&D faciltiy.
The overview of the work to be included in the next year of construction include: The exterior portion –the update of the building’s envelope; the building’s exterior will be cleaned, some re-pointing and replacement of deteriorated brick and crumbling grout. Damaged terra cotta will be fixed while new structural supports will be installed for the highly decorative cornice. Completely new roof system, and complete restoration of all the wood and steel windows. The outdoor parking lot will be revitalized, parking spaces will be restriped and updated landscape is anticipated. Consistent with R&D standards, the inside will have plenty of natural light, modernized lab spaces and updated building systems. The goal here is to provide efficient staff work and lab areas, create accessibility spaces appropriate to the lab functions and energize the overall interior; keeping the balance between the rich historic industrial shell and the innovative technology and knowledge inside.
The renovation of a small public library gem in south Minneapolis is in full swing. The project’s goal is gain a balance between its historic charm while incorporates modern amenities. The exterior portion is almost complete including the update of the building’s envelope; the building’s exterior will get some re-pointing and replacement of deteriorated
brick and crumbling grout. The outdoor public spaces have been laid ready for the updated landscape this spring. The 500-square-foot addition for a multipurpose room for community and library activities has been constructed and closed up. The addition adds a lot of space to this small library along with a lot of day light.
Meanwhile interior renovation is moving along! Consistent with green building standards, the inside will have plenty of natural light and updated systems. The goal here was to improve staff work areas, create more efficiency and accessibility spaces and refresh the overall interior; keeping it warm, rich and intimate feeling.
The best part about this process has been the community’s involvement and their enthusiasm. Neighbors participated in a design collaboration to help refine the renovation goals. Don’t only is this library getting a rejuvenated architecturally, Hennpin County will be provided more public computers, wireless access, a teen area, more books, DVDs and CDs, and new but appropriate furniture; flexible, appealing with comfortable seating. The Roosevelt library will reopen in early summer 2013.